London & North Western Railway Locomotives
LNWR locomotives were always distinctive and workmanlike. They were built to do a job of work and to do so at minimum cost. That is not to say that corners were cut, money was spent were it mattered. For instance LNWR locos tended to have relatively large bearing surfaces that enabled them to be worked hard in revenue service. The black livery introduced in 1873 was known as “Blackberry Black” and was in contrast to the bright colours of most other contemporary railways.
Great care was taken with the finish, in fact a new loco spent longer in the paint shop than in being built. At least up until WW1 locomotives were generally kept clean and polished, in stark contrast to the last days of steam on BR.
Locomotive Superintendents of the LNWR (later renamed Chief Mechanical Engineers)
North Eastern Division Head quarters at Longsight in Manchester, merged into the Northern Division in 1857.
|John Ramsbottom||1846—1857||More Info|
Northern Division Head quarters at Crewe
|John Ramsbottom||1857—1862||More Info|
Southern Division Head quarters at Wolverton.
|J Edward Bury||1846—1847||More Info|
|J Edward McConnell||1847—1861|
Entire LNWR System Head quarters at Euston/Crewe.
|John Ramsbottom||1862—1871||More Info|
|Francis William Webb||1871—1903||More Info|
|George Whale||1903—1909||More Info|
|Charles John Bowen Cooke||1909—1920||More Info|
|Capt. Hewitt Pearson Montague Beames||1920—1921||More Info|