Glossary Results for prefix "ci"
|Citadel Station Committee||The London and North Western and Caledonian management committee for Carlisle Citadel station.|
|City of Dublin Steam Packet Company (CDSPC)||The company which provided the mail steamer service between Holyhead and Kingstown until the LNWR’s tender was finally accepted in 1920.|
|City to City Express||A dining car express between Wolverhampton and Broad Street, via Birmingham. The up train left Wolverhampton at 7.50, Birmingham at 8.20 and arrived at Broad Street at 10.35; the down train left Broad Street at 17.25, arriving Birmingham 19.40 and Wolverhampton 20.05.
The train was introduced in 1910, in response to the Great Western’s opening the Aynho cut-off, giving a more direct route to Birmingham than that via Oxford and the prospect of two-hour expresses between Paddington and Birmingham — the same time as the best Euston-Birmingham trains. An innovation on this train was a “typewriting compartment”, where secretarial services were provided.
|Civil Engineering||On a railway, practically everything which neither moves nor is operated by machinery, wires or levers.|
|CK - Composite Korridor (sic)||Corridor carriage with accommodation for passengers of more than one class. Composites might be first/second, first/third, second/third or tricomposite (all three classes). CKs were often used as through carriages, usually combined with a BTK or BG.|
|Clack Valve||This is a non-return valve by which water is admitted to the boiler from the injector while preventing the steam escaping. Named after the sound it makes when the valve closes.|
|Claughton 4-6-0 Locomotive Class||A class of large 4-6-0 express passenger engines introduced in 1913 with 6ft 9in driving wheels and four cylinders: two inside and two outside the frames. The first engine was named after the LNWR’s chairman Sir Gilbert Claughton.|
|Cleator & Workington Junction Railway (CWJR)||Brought about by the dominance of existing railways in West Cumberland and the high rates they charged, it ran as an independent railway up until grouping. Financed to a greater degree by those involved in the local iron trade, its main line from Cleator Moor Junction to a Siddick Junction, just north of Workington, with the LNWR passed through some difficult country, mainly because the choicest routes had already been taken! The main traffic was operated by the Furness Railway, but they had a fleet of engines to operate the branches and to shunt the iron works etc. Created by an Act of 17th June 1876, it was opened to traffic in 1879.|
|Clerestory Roof||Roof profile used on dining and sleeping saloons with a raised centre section with lights (glass) in the sides. An expensive form of construction, this was supposed to give a higher ceiling and better lighting. Pronounced ‘clear-story”, the term is borrowed from ecclesiastical architecture.|
|Close-Coupled||Arrangement whereby carriages were permanently coupled together into sets or “coupled trains” as they were known on the LNWR. The intermediate buffers were often shorter than normal, which reduced the train length. Close coupled trains were fixed formations which could not be altered by the traffic staff.|
|Club Car||A saloon open only to members paying a subscription to the club, provided where there were prosperous businessmen commuters. Examples under the LMS, on former LNWR lines, were the “Manchester Club” and “Liverpool Club” — morning trains from Llandudno and the corresponding afternoon services from Manchester and Liverpool.|
|CME||Chief Mechanical Engineer. In fact this is a modern title, and in former days the persons responsible for motive power often had different titles, such as Locomotive Superintendent.|