Glossary Results for Word "Wigan Branch Railway"
|Wigan Branch Railway||Incorporated 1830 and opened in 1832 as a 7-mile branch from the Liverpool & Manchester Railway at Parkside to Wigan. There was also a 2 mile branch to Springs, on the Leeds Liverpool Canal (hence the later ‘Springs Branch’ engine shed at the junction) which was opened in 1838, the year in which the W.B.R. joined with the Preston & Wigan to form the North Union Railway. Most of the W.B.R. is now part of the West Coast main line.|