Glossary Results for Word "St. Helens Railway"
|St. Helens Railway||Opened in 1832/3 between collieries at St Helens and Runcorn Gap (now Widnes) on the River Mersey, crossing and connecting with the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. Amalgamated with the Sankey Brook Navigation as the St Helens Canal & Railway in 1845. Was extended from Runcorn Gap westward to Garston Dock in 1852, and eastward to Warrington (Arpley) in 1853/4 - and from St Helens north-west to Rainford in 1858. Warrington to Garston line leased to the LNWR in 1860; whole railway absorbed by the LNWR in 1864.|