Gif of LNWR Emblem
London & North Western Railway Society
Glossary for the LNWR Society

Glossary Results for Word "Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway"

Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway The line from Brynmawr to Blaenavon was originally built in 1866 by the Brynmawr & Blaenavon Railway and immediately leased to the LNWR, to transport coal to the Midlands. Eight years later it was extended to meet the Great Western RailwayExplain 'Great Western Railway (GWR)' at Abersychan & Talywain. The line was closed to passenger traffic in May 1941 and to goods in June 1954, although the line remained open until 1980, transporting coal down the valley to Newport.