Whitehaven Junction Railway
A small independent line, promoted by the Lonsdale interest, connected
the existing Maryport & Carlisle Railway
with the town of Whitehaven, a thriving port on the west coast of Cumberland. It obtained an Act of
Parliament on 4th July 1844 and was opened throughout in March 1847.
It had a range of rolling stock that was eventually managed as joint stock between itself and the Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway . It was amalgamated, together with the Cockermouth & Workington Railway , with the LNWR in 1866, from which date the railways became a microcosm of LNWR practice, though it was entirely isolated from the parent company. The Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway was purchased by the Furness Railway at the same time, and the resultant joint stock was divided between the two companies.