Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway
Another ‘Lonsdale’ line, it ran initially from
Broughton-in-Furness to just south of Whitehaven, where it had its terminus at Preston Street. With the
construction of Whitehaven tunnel, the line was extended to make a terminus with the Whitehaven Junction Railway
at Bransty station at the north side of Whitehaven.
Created by an Act of 21st July 1845, it was opened throughout in November 1850. It shared its rolling stock with the Whitehaven Junction Railway until it was amalgamated with the Furness Railway at the same time as the other two local lines (1866). Under the control of the Furness Railway, it was doubled for much of its length, and the infrastructure almost totally rebuilt by them. It became an integral part of the Furness Railway.