Gif of LNWR Emblem
London & North Western Railway Society
Coal Wagons of the LNWR

Traffic Coal Wagons

The LNW constructed its own Traffic Coal wagons, as distinct from Locomotive Coal wagons, only in 1883, when an official circular, see below, announced their introduction. Prior to that time the coal traffic over the line had largely been carried in private owner wagons that continued to be used in parallel with the new Company owned vehicles. The Traffic Coal wagon design referred to was an 8 ton, 36" side wagon, later to be known as Diagram 53.

Shows sample photo of class, file name notice.jpg