|London and North Western Railway Society
|LNWR Locomotive Classes
|What is that Locomotive
You are here: Home > Glossary > Locomotive Class 0-3
- 2ft 6in Shunter 0-4-0T Locomotive Class
- In 1880 Mr. Webb produced five of the most unusual engines ever to be built, even at Crewe Works, and another five were built in 1862. They were mostly used within the works itself. The driver and fireman worked at opposite ends, either being able to attach couplings, and both the brake and the reversing gear were operable from either end, with no protection from the elements for the crew.
- 17in Coal Engine 0-6-0 Locomotive Class
- A standard 0-6-0 goods engine designed by F.W. Webb of which 500 were built from 1873. The design was based on the ‘Special Tanks’ and at first used the same boiler up rated to 140 psi; later the whole class had boilers with larger fireboxes. The 17in refers to the diameter of the cylinders and the last ones ran into the early 1950’s.
- 17in Goods Locomotive Class
- See Coal Engine 0-6-0 locomotive class .
- 18in Goods Engine 0-6-0 Locomotive Class
- A goods engine with 18in diameter cylinders, usually taken to refer to the class of 0-6-0 engines designed by F.W. Webb and also known as ‘Cauliflowers’ of which 302 were built from 1890-1902.
- 18in Tank 0-6-2T Locomotive Class
- See Watford Tank.
- 19in Goods Locomotive Class
- A class of 170 engines introduced in 1906 by George Whale. Intended for mixed traffic duties, these engines were based on his successful ‘Experiment’ 4-6-0 passenger locomotives, but with smaller, 5ft 3in driving wheels and 3ft 3in bogie wheels.
- 1185 0-8-2T Locomotive Class
- This was a class of 30 locomotives, a tank development of the G1 class. They were built 1911-1917, by Bowen Cooke, and intended for heavy shunting, particularly at Edge Hill where, although the sorting was by gravity, heavy trains needed to be moved to and from the grid irons. They were the first locomotives since Ramsbottom adopted screw reverse to have lever reverse.
- 1400 4-6-0 Locomotive Class
- Webb’s last locomotives were the 1400s, a class of 30 four cylinder compound 4-6-0 mixed traffic engines, with 5ft 3in driving wheels, intended as more powerful replacements for the “Cauliflowers”. The first appeared in February 1903, only three months before Webb’s retirement. They were distinguished by a kink in the footplate where it cleared the outside cylinders (similar to that on the “B” class) and by a long continuous splasher over the coupled wheels.