Glossary Results for prefix "cc"
|‘C’ Class 0-8-0 Locomotive class||A rebuild by Whale of the Webb 3-cylinder compound class ‘A’ engines into simple expansion engines by fitting new inside cylinders and Joy’s valve gear.|
|CCT – Covered Carriage Truck||Normally NPCS rated, a covered truck with end-loading doors intended for the conveyance of horse drawn road carriages, and later motor vehicles. In practice also often used for parcels and similar traffics.|
|Central Wales Railway||The Central Wales Railway was projected in 1859, as an extension of the Knighton Railway to Llandrindod Wells. The line was opened fully in 1865. The Central Wales Extension Railway carried the line on to Llandovery.|
|Central Wales Extension Railway||The Central Wales Extension Railway, to link Llandrindod (Central Wales Railway) with Llandovery, was projected in 1860; it opened in stages, and was completed in 1868, being taken over by the LNWR virtually on completion.|
|Centre Brake||In Victorian days the LNW was rather fond of placing the guard’s brake compartment in the middle of carriages , reasoning that if the train had to reverse direction, as they then often needed to, the brake compartment could not end up at the ‘wrong end’. See Also Brake End Coach.|
|Centre Kitchen Carriage||A dining car with a kitchen section in the centre of the carriage (often a composite, with first class at one end and second and/or third at the other). cf End Kitchen|
|Cess||The area alongside and below the level of a railway track into which rain water is drained.|
|Chain Brake||The Clark and Webb Chain Braking system under which a brake lever in the brakesman’s van engaged a clutch to a friction wheel on the axle, which then wound in a chain connected to the brake levers on adjoining vehicles, applying the brakes. The system had several problems. First, any one brake van could work the brakes on no more than five or six vehicles; so several brake vans were required in an age when carriages were short and there might well be more than twenty in a train. Second, if a chain broke, part of the train was without brakes. Third, because several brake vans (and brakesmen) were required, the brakes might not operate simultaneously on all sections of the train. Either of these last could cause a train to part.
(Note many references spell Clark as Clarke which is incorrect - H. Jack)
|Chains||There are 80 chains in a mile, each one being 22 yards.|
|Chair||A metal casting which is bolted to a sleeper and grips the bullhead rail to hold it in place with the aid of a wooden block or key.|
|Chaldron Buffer||Chaldron wagons were used in the North East of England and Lake District. They were very small wagons whose solebars were extended at both ends to form buffers. Because the wagons were so small, these did not match the standard buffers used on most normal railway wagons. Consequently, railway wagons which regularly operated in those areas sometimes had their end-stanchions extended downwards and braced to match the buffers on Chaldron wagons.|
|Chat Moss||A peat bog between Eccles and Newton-le-Willows which caused great difficulties during the building of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, being apparently almost bottomless. It was said that when a train passed over the line, the permanent way sank by several inches.
(In the first diesel multiple units – in which passengers in the front seats could get a driver’s-eye view of the line – it could be seen that this was indeed so. Yet these units were far lighter than a steam locomotive.)
|Check Rails||Check rails are placed parallel to, and inside, running rails, just far enough from the running rails to allow clearance for wheel flanges. Their purpose is to bear on the back of the wheel flange in situations where the other wheel on the same axle might have a tendency to leave the track. They are used mainly in two situations: opposite the “V” of points and on very tight curves. They are also sometimes found on bridges and viaducts where a derailment would be more than usually disastrous.|
|Chemical Pan Trolley||A low wagon to carry a Chemical Pan. See Trolley.|
|Cheshire Lines Committee (CLC)||Constituted 1865, with GNR and MSLR as owners. Midland became third partner in 1866. The CLC possessed passenger and freight stock, but the owning companies supplied the locomotives. The CLC owed its existence to the desire of these companies to share in traffic to and from Liverpool, which was the preserve of the LNWR and LYR; therefore, despite the name, the most important CLC line was in Lancashire, from Manchester to Liverpool.|
|Chimney||A pipe emerging from the top of the Smoke Box (at the front of the engine) from which the smoke and spent steam escapes. The black smoke, loved by photographers, is a sign of fuel waste.|
|Churchward, George Jackson (1857—1933)||Churchward worked for the GWR, but Stanier took Churchward’s ideas to the LMS, and applied them in a virtually undiluted form.|