|London and North Western Railway Society
|What does that word mean
You are here: Home > Glossary > Glossary — Ta
- A device serving the same purpose as a staff but being in the shape of a flat disc.
- Tablet Exchange
- The procedure where an engine driver and a signalman exchanged one single line tablet applicable to the section of line just traversed for another one authorising entry to the next section of line ahead.
- Tank Locomotive
- A steam locomotive that carries its own water supply, rather than towing a separate vehicle for the purpose (often called a tender). Usually indicated by a ‘T’ appended to wheel arrangements when describing locomotives (e.g. 0-6-0T).
- A part of the instrument used by signalmen which when depressed transmits coded bell signals to adjacent signal cabins.
- A valve actuating mechanism used in some early types of valve gear. An oscillating rod would have one or more dogs connected to the rod, each of which would make contact with and move a lever at a pre-determined point of the rod’s travel. The movement of the lever would then open or close a valve.