- The lower part of an axle box which contains an oil reservoir.
- Kenyon and Leigh Junction Railway
- Incorporated in 1829 to join the Bolton & Leigh Railway (at Leigh) to the Liverpool & Manchester Railway just over two miles away at Kenyon Junction. Opened in 1831, leased by the B&L in 1836 and bought outright by that company just before it was amalgamated with the Grand Junction Railway in 1845.
- Used to lock the rail to its supporting chairs. For bullhead rail a wooden, or metal, wedge is hammered between the outside edge of the rail and chair. For flat bottom rail a sprung steel link is used to hold the flat bottom to the base plate (i.e. no “chairs” with flat bottom rail)
- Key Staff
- A staff which incorporates a key for unlocking a points operating mechanism in the middle of a single-line section of track.
- Kirtley, Matthew (1813—1873)
- First Locomotive Superintendent of the Midland Railway, designer of many locomotives, one of which is preserved at the Midland Railway centre, Butterley, Derbyshire. Pioneered the combination of the brick arch and fire hole deflector plate, to facilitate coal being used as the fuel instead of coke. Born 1813. Died 1873.
- Kitchen Third (Tea Cars)
- In the last years before 1914 the LNWR built, or converted, corridor third-class carriages with a kitchen for providing a corridor service of teas. Only four were regularly marshalled, in trains which ran at times when provision for any other meal was unnecessary:
- the 2:30 Wolverhampton-Euston,
- the Liverpool portion of the 2:40 pm from Euston,
- the 4:00 Euston-Manchester and
- the 2:00 Liverpool-Euston.
The first carriages were 57ft cove-roof thirds, with the kitchen replacing two compartments; a water tank was placed above roof level. Later vehicles, built in 1915, were 52ft 6in long; they were elliptical roofed and had the water tank in the roof.
- Knighton Railway
- A railway projected in 1858, opened partially, for goods in 1860 and completed in 1861, originally single track but doubled in 1871. It ran from Craven Arms, on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway, to Knighton, Radnorshire (although the station was just over the border in Shropshire). The Shrewsbury and Hereford was leased jointly by the LNWR and GWR in 1862 and ownership, as a joint line, was transferred in 1868; in 1868, also, the Knighton Railway, Central Wales Railway and Central Wales Extension Railway were absorbed into the LNWR.
- Colloquial name of the North Staffordshire Railway.