Glossary Results for Word "Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway"
|Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway||Originally constructed as part of Potteries, Shrewsbury and North Wales railway which was built and opened from Shrewsbury to Llanymynech in 1866 with a branch from Kinnerley to Criggion. It was not a success and services were suspended in 1880. It lay fallow until 1907 when Holman Stephens promoted a light railway to take over. It was reconstructed and reopened as the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire in 1911. Passenger services ceased in 1933 and the railway began to fade away again only to be resurrected as a military railway in Word War II. It finally closed in 1962.|