Glossary Results for Word "Maryport & Carlisle Railway (MCR)"
|Maryport & Carlisle Railway (MCR)||An independent railway serving the two locations in its title. It made an end-on junction at its south end with the Whitehaven Junction Railway, which was later taken over by the LNWR. It was the first railway in the region, and gained its Act on 12th June 1837. The line was opened in stages, being opened throughout on 10th February 1845. It had a distinctive range of rolling stock; many of its engines were built by them at Maryport.|