Glossary Results for Word "Exchange Station, Manchester"
|Exchange Station, Manchester||LNWR trains between Yorkshire and the Liverpool and Manchester line first used the Manchester and Leeds (later the Lancashire and Yorkshire) Railway station, Victoria. Despite several enlargements, the station had become woefully inadequate by 1880 and the LNWR built its own station, Exchange, which opened on 30th June 1884. The station was on the west bank of the Irwell and so, despite its name, it was actually in Salford. Platform 11 of Victoria station and platform 3 of Exchange were in fact a single platform, the longest in the United Kingdom.|