Glossary Results for Word "Bolton & Leigh Railway"
|Bolton & Leigh Railway||The oldest section of the original constituents of the LNWR, the B&L was incorporated in 1825 and opened in 1828-9. It was eight miles long from Bolton to the Leeds-Liverpool Canal at Leigh, and in 1831 was extended for two miles by the Kenyon and Leigh Junction Railway to join the Liverpool & Manchester Railway at Kenyon Junction. The B&L leased the K&LJ in 1836 and, together with the L&M, was amalgamated with the Grand Junction Railway in 1845. Among the B&L’s noteworthy locomotives were Stephenson’s “Lancashire Witch”, Hackworth’s “Sans Pareil” — fresh from the Rainhill Trials — and Bury’s first two engines, “Dreadnought” and “Liverpool”.|